Born and raised in Jefferson County, Alabama, Richard Burton attended Mortimer Jordan High School and continued his education at the University of Alabama in business & financial planning and anthropology while also competing as an athlete in track and field and cross country for the University. After completing a double bachelors degree, Richard was hired as a judicial intern for the City of Tuscaloosa Municipal Court shortly before accepting a scholarship to attend law school at Florida Coastal School of Law (FCSL).
While at FCSL he was a legislator for the Student Bar Association, founded and chaired the school’s Real Property, Probate and Trust Law club, was selected for the Special Task Force on Leadership and Communication Skills, and was elected chair of the statewide Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Committee. He also became very involved with Jacksonville Area Legal Aid and led financial literacy classes in local high schools earning him the Pro Bono award for outstanding community service.
Upon graduating from law school, Richard volunteered with the Jefferson County Probate Court while the department had undergone furloughs and layoffs. Through his dedication and hard work at the court, the Honorable Judge Alan King appointed Richard to serve as the official Law Clerk for the Jefferson County Probate Court.
Richard continued to serve the public as a Probate, Estate and Tax Planning Attorney when he later founded Burton & Associates, LLC. As this business progressed, he merged practices with the Law Office of Gene M. Sellers (retired), and later Dominick Feld Hyde, PC.
When he is not handling probate, estate, or tax matters, Richard enjoys free time at community events and travelling with his wife, Miranda McPherson, and two daughters, Peri and Cooper. He is also part of the “sandwich generation” and cares for his nonagenarian grandmother.
- B Metro Top Flight Lawyer
- Expertise Best Estate Planners in Birmingham
- Jacksonville Area Legal Aid Pro Bono Award
- FCSL Academic Excellence & Business Development
- The University of Alabama Dean’s List
- The National Dean’s List
- Alabama State Bar
- Birmingham Bar Association (BBA)
- BBA Probate Section
- BBA Solo/Small Firm Section
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- ABA Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Section
- Presenter, Alabama Probate Judges Association CLE
- Presenter, Birmingham Bar Association CLEs
- Presenter, Galleria Woods Estate Planning
- Presenter, Stone Avant & Daniels Estate Planning
- Panelist, Birmingham Bar Continuing Legal Ed
- Court Liaison, BBA Probate Section
- Membership Liaison, BBA Probate Section
- Social Co-Chair, BBA Probate Section
- Committee Chair, Statewide Student RPPTL
- Legislator, Student Bar Association
- Special Task Force, Leadership and Communication Skills
- President, FCSL Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Club
- Coach, High School Track and Field
- Outreach Volunteer, Boy Scouts of America
- Athlete, The University of Alabama Cross Country and Track & Field
- President, Birmingham Central City Neighborhood
- Board of Directors, Wheelock Condominium Association
- Board of Directors, Sanspointe
- Board of Directors, Birmingham Art Crawl
- Board of Directors, Birmingham Artwalk
- After School Tutor, Park Place Community
- Volunteer, Hayes Middle School Clean Up
- Co-Lead, Marconi Park Revitalization
- Volunteer, East Lake Community Garden